A productive selection process is a valid process. Let me define the term “valid” clearly. In the case of a selection, evidence of validity means the selection process demonstrates that it:
- Makes sense to all parties including the candidate;
- Is reflective of the job and the tasks associated with the job;
- Measures content that is reflective of the job;
- Is predictive of success; and
- Measures what it intends to measure.
A strong selection process contributes to decisions, positive or negative, that reflect a candidate’s ability to do a job and be productive in the organizational culture.
How have you ensured your selection process meets the above criteria?