For those of you who are clients, I would also like to thank you for your continued engagement with Performancepoint! I believe you will find some exciting new things waiting for you this year in our experience together.
In that spirit, I would like to share with you some thoughts adapted from Missy Park, Founder of TitleNine, a women’s sports apparel company.
EVERYTHING I know I’ve learned from coaching others. For today’s competitive world, I thought I’d share their criteria for a good team captain (leader).
- A captain should really WANT to be captain.
- (S)he does not have to be the best player, but she does have to be a REALLY HARD WORKER.
- (S)he should LISTEN CLOSELY, but she does not necessarily have to act on everything she hears.
- (S)he should be “up” even when, ESPECIALLY when, others are down.
- (S)he has to be able to say the things we MIGHT NOT WANT TO HEAR.
- But most importantly, the team must recognized that in order for a leader to be successful, (S)HE ALSO HAS TO HAVE REALLY GOOD FOLLOWERS.
That is the tricky part for all of us, isn’t it? How do we support our leaders, even ones we did not vote for, we do not get to choose, even when we disagree?
Here’s to hoping that we all have the strength to be good followers.