I was doing a speaking engagement the other day for an ASTD chapter. The presentation was titled Upside Down, Backwards, and Inside Out: A Different View of Training and Development. You could replace training with Human Resources, Organizational Effectiveness and any other moniker.
I have said for a while that the theories, practices, products and approaches being used in the marketplace are outdated, tired, misinterpreted and misused. As I did some research regarding the subject I was amazed by the numbers. Take a look.
- 70% of crucial org. change efforts fail (Miller, 2002)
- 20% success rate with corporate re-engineering (Strebel, 2000)
- 10-30% organizations able to implement strategic plan (Raps, 2004)
- 80% of executives use controlling behaviors (LaMantia, 2007)
- Almost 2 in 5 bosses are bad (Gallup, 2010)
- 34% are thriving at work (Performancepoint, 2009)
- 51% do not feel fully utilized at work (Performancepoint, 2009)
- 48% organizational culture and politics create the most stress (Performancepoint, 2009)
- 84% of organizations using engagement surveys do not see positive results (Hewitt, 2010)
It is time for a change. It is time for taking a risk. We are coming out of the dark clouds of a severe recession and now is the time for human performance professionals to do things differently! Are you up for it?